Judges’ Notary Committee
A “Notary Public” is a public officer of the State of Ohio, a position created by the Ohio Legislature. The Ohio Constitution provides that no person may be appointed to public office in Ohio unless he is a citizen eighteen years of age or older.
A Notary’s duty is to attest to the genuineness of any deeds or writings in order to render them available as evidence of the facts therein contained. The Commission of a Notary Public is not a license to practice law. A notary should not draft legal documents or offer legal advice.
The purpose of the Notary Committee is to process applications through the Secretary of the State who in turn commissions notaries public.
The procedure to become a new notary in Clermont County is as follows:
- Call the Committee’s office at (513) 732-7359 to obtain an application; stop by the Notary office in the Clermont County Law Library at 270 E. Main Street, Batavia, or download the application (link on left). An applicant must be a Clermont County resident 18 years or older. All parts of the application must be returned in original format – no copies can be accepted.
- Return the pages, completed in full, with original signatures, as instructed on the cover sheet to: Judges’ Notary Committee , c/o Law Library, 270 E. Main Street, Room A201, Batavia, Ohio 45103.
- Upon receipt, the Committee will send the applicant a copy of “A Guidebook for Notaries Public” accompanied by a postcard stating the date and time of the next test. It is the responsibility of the applicant to call and reserve a seat on this date and time or to make arrangements for a special test.
- After passing the test, your application will be sent to the Secretary of State’s Office, at which time a Commission will be issued. You will then receive notification from the Committee, to come in and be sworn-in. Your Commission is good for the entire state of Ohio for five years.
- These directions are explained in full on the instruction sheet of the new notary application.
Questions please call us at (513)-732-7359.